A selection of David Levy’s publications and presentations on acceleration and overload, the loss of time to think, information and contemplation, and the nature of documents.
- David M. Levy. Mindful Tech: How to Bring Balance to Our Digital Lives. Yale University Press, 2016.
- David M. Levy. Scrolling Forward: Making Sense of Documents in the Digital Age. Skyhorse Publishing, 2001 (new ed., 2016).
Mindful Tech/Information & Contemplation
- David M. Levy. “Contemplate Your Email,” Chronicle of Higher Education. April 10th, 2016.
- David M. Levy. “The Attraction of Distraction,” Yahoo! Tech. January 28th, 2016.
- David M. Levy. “Information and Contemplation.” In Contemplative Learning and Inquiry Across Disciplines, edited by Olen Gunnlaugson, Edward W. Sarath, Charles Scott, and Heesoon Bai. SUNY Press, 2014.
- David M. Levy, Jacob O. Wobbrock, Alfred W. Kaszniak, and Marilyn Ostergren. “The Effects of Mindfulness Meditation Training on Multitasking in a High-Stress Information Environment.” In Proceedings of Graphics Interface 2012, pp. 45-52. Canadian Information Processing Society, 2012.
- David M. Levy, No Cellphone? No Internet? So Much Less Stress,” Chronicle of Higher Education. May 8th, 2011. . “
No Time to Think
- David M. Levy. “No Time to Think: The American University and Its (Anti-)Contemplative Roots.” The Information School Webinar, Seattle, Washington, May 2010.
- David M. Levy. “No Time to Think.” Google Tech Talks, 2008.
- David M. Levy. “No Time to Think: Reflections on Information Technology and Contemplative Scholarship.” Ethics and Information Technology 9, no. 4 (2007): 237-249.
- David M. Levy. “More, Faster, Better: Governance in an Age of Overload, Busyness, and Speed.” First Monday (2006).
- David M. Levy. “I’m Not Here Right Now to Take Your Call: Technology and the Politics of Absence.” In Proceedings of the Oksnoen Symposium, pp. 61-66. 1995.
Documents and Digital Libraries
- David M. Levy. “Documents and Libraries: A Sociotechnical Perspective.” Ann Peterson Bishop, Nancy Van House, and Barbara P. Buttenfield (eds.), Digital Library Use: Social Practice in Design and Evaluation, pp. 25-42. 2003.
- David M. Levy. “Digital Libraries and the Problem of Purpose.” Bulletin of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 26, no. 6 (2000): 22-25.
- David M. Levy. “Heroic Measures: Reflections on the Possibility and Purpose of Digital Preservation.” In Proceedings of the Third ACM Conference on Digital Libraries, pp. 152-161. ACM, 1998.
- David M. Levy and Catherine C. Marshall. “Going Digital: A Look at Assumptions Underlying Digital Libraries.” Communications of the ACM 38, no. 4 (1995): 77-84.
- David M. Levy. “Fixed or Fluid?: Document Stability and New Media.” In Proceedings of the 1994 ACM European Conference on Hypermedia Technology, pp. 24-31. ACM, 1994.